Re: cleanly getting rid of manually installed transitional packages due to rename

On Ma, 21 apr 20, 17:07:52, Vincent Lefevre wrote:

> Is there a way to avoid this behavior automatically, i.e. by
> forwarding the "manually installed" state automatically to the
> new package? Shouldn't this be done by default?

I'm not aware of apt/itude having the feature you are looking for,
though it might be interesting to have.

The best you could to right now is to try to script a solution based on
the practice that the old package is moved to section oldlibs.

You might want to file a wishlist bug against 'apt' to request such a
feature (if not requested already). A reliable implementation probably
requires a new package field, something like:

    Package: foo
    Superseded-By: bar

Kind regards,
Andrei