Re: geolocation services disabled and Gnome maps

On 13/04/2020 14:53, Celejar wrote:
On Sat, 11 Apr 2020 15:48:00 -0000 (UTC)
Curt <curty@free.fr> wrote:

On 2020-04-11, Anil F Duggirala <anilduggirala@fastmail.fm> wrote:
Perhaps it simply looks up your IP address. Would I be right in
thinking that you are located in your DC?
So. I right now physically in the beautiful city of Cali, Colombia.
And
Gnome Maps is showing my location precise to about a 10 meter radius
of
my actual location. That is my concern. Location Services are Off and
have never been turned on on this machine.

I should not have said a 10 meter radius, thats not fair. I would say,
always, within a 50 meter radius. Which imo is pretty precise for IP
based location.

BTW, I fed my IP address to this site

  https://www.maxmind.com/en/locate-my-ip-address

and it nails my location approximately within a 50 meter radius (I
entered the latitudinal and longitudinal coordinate output into Google's
search engine, which brings up the spot in their Maps app).

I found this surprising (in my vast ignorance).
Both maxmind and geoip.com put me about three miles from my actual
location (both at the same point).

Celejar

maxmind put's me 134.7 miles away from my location.

--
Michael Howard