Re: DOH (was: geolocation services disabled and Gnome maps)

On Sunday 12 April 2020 09:39:09 tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:

> On Sun, Apr 12, 2020 at 07:33:51AM -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
>
> [...]
>
> > I don't either, but at some point in an https environment, it seems
> > to me that a dns lookup is going to have to be translated into a
> > plain dns lookup.
>
> No, that's not how it works. When the browser wants to resolve a
> name, it doesn't "do" DNS (when it's doing DOH, that is) but uses
> some "web-service-ish" protocol over https to some server out there
> (cloudflare, e.g.) which does the resolution and answers via https.
>
> Thus bypassing whatever scheme the sysadmin has set up for DNS.
>
> I don't have polite words for that.

Neither do I, and it WILL BE EXPLOITED. Linux has been such a breath of
fresh air when I found it in late 1998, that I've forgotten a monologue,
about 4 or 5 minutes long I used in my early dealings with Nt-3.51 and
its random deletions of important dll's that M$ used to make you buy a
new license.  Once, I might have been gullible enough to buy it, but at
$600 for a new license twice in 2 years time on 2 different machines the
same dll just vanished has to be malicious. But the crowning blow was
when somebody in Redmond had the chutzpah to call me a pie-rat because I
wanted a floppy fedexed to me with just that library on it. Screw em,
and the camel that rode in on them...

> Cheers
> -- t

Cheers, Gene Heskett