Re: DOH (was: geolocation services disabled and Gnome maps)

On Sun, Apr 12, 2020 at 07:33:51AM -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:

[...]

> I don't either, but at some point in an https environment, it seems to me
> that a dns lookup is going to have to be translated into a plain dns
> lookup.

No, that's not how it works. When the browser wants to resolve a
name, it doesn't "do" DNS (when it's doing DOH, that is) but uses
some "web-service-ish" protocol over https to some server out there
(cloudflare, e.g.) which does the resolution and answers via https.

Thus bypassing whatever scheme the sysadmin has set up for DNS.

I don't have polite words for that.

Cheers
-- t