Re: DOH (was: geolocation services disabled and Gnome maps)

On Sunday 12 April 2020 06:35:44 tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:

> On Sun, Apr 12, 2020 at 01:21:08PM +0300, Reco wrote:
> > On Sun, Apr 12, 2020 at 12:10:45PM +0200, tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:
> > > That's why I cringe at the idea that browsers want to start doing
> > > name resolution over HTTPS.
> >
> > This simple one line of dnsmasq configuration will disable this
> > problematic feature for good for Firefox (basically it creates a
> > bogus NXDOMAIN response for this particular site):
> >
> > local=/use-application-dns.net/
>
> I don't quite understand [1] how the dnsmasq config has a say on
> whether the browser resolves things over HTTP (it won't ask the
> resolver in the first place, would it?), but thanks for the pointer
> anyway.
>
> Cheers
> [1] That's not a rhethorical flourish, it's genuine. I know too
>    little about DNS-over-HTTP to be of any use at this point.
>
> -- tomás

I don't either, but at some point in an https environment, it seems to me
that a dns lookup is going to have to be translated into a plain dns
lookup.  Perhaps I'm being dense but I am not personally aware of an
encrypted to https protocol for dns lookups. I have no such facility
here in my two stage resolver that I've been aware of, but https Just
Works.

But density is relative, in a recent thread asking about installing  more
memory, it was said that he had started with a 4GB stick and that the op
was adding another 8Gb stick. In my experience thats doomed to run at
half speed because the two sticks don't match.  Yet no one mentioned
that with matching sticks, memory can be accessed at double speed,
alternating between matching sticks by reading even addresses
interleaved with reading odd addresses.  With dis-similar sizes, this
interleaving of addresses cannot be done. Sequential reads are the
forced into half speed reads because of the memory's recovery speeds.

Rule of thumb then is installing memory as pairs but consult the
motherboards docs to find out if pairs are slots 0 and 1, or 0 and 2.
Yet no on mentioned that effect on speed in that whole thread.  Shame on
us.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
 - Louis D. Brandeis