Re: advisable to use installer script?

On Lu, 06 apr 20, 22:49:13, Alex Mestiashvili wrote:

> R packages and python modules as everything else packageable for Debian
> comes as source code, so how it is build is up to you and tools you use.
> Even more, binary packages might be suboptimal compared to locally built
> ones.

In most cases any optimization gains are offset by the maintenance
burden, e.g. you have to keep track of security updates, rebuild the
package, etc.

In the meantime package users just 'apt update && apt upgrade' (or
enable unattended-upgrades) and get on with their work / life :)

> Btw, are you aware that gitlab instance for salsa.debian.org is not
> using packaged gitlab?
> There are many softwares which simply don't fit into Debian's paradigm
> of a packaging. But nevertheless they are useful and open source.

As far as I understand Gitlab is very complex, depends on (lots of?)
other software that is also not packaged and doesn't have a long term
support branch. All of these make it very difficult to create the
package *and* maintain it in a stable release.

Hopefully at some point the upstream maintainers will adopt the long
term support release model, as many other projects have done (e.g.
Firefox).

Kind regards,
Andrei