Re: x-www-browser doesn't change even after package delete, update-alternatives

On Lu, 06 apr 20, 09:46:50, Curt wrote:
> On 2020-04-06, Andrei POPESCU <andreimpopescu@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> This is getting well beyond Debian, but why would GNU/Linux in general have
> >> so many overlapping ways to register default applications?
> >
> > Probably a case of competing standards.
>
> Seems more like the distinction between a user-defined preference
> (*Preferred Applications* button in the Xfce Settings Manager) and a
> system-wide default (/etc/alternatives being designed for the case where
> the user has failed to specify a particular preference among two or
> more alternatives). That rclone would privilege the former over the
> latter seems completely reasonable to me.

The "/etc/alternatives" mechanism is  Debian specific, there is little
incentive for various upstreams to use it.

As far as I know whatever "Preferred Applications" mechanism the DE is
using is also not standardized, which doesn't help :(

Kind regards,
Andrei