GUI does not start after stretch to buster update

After upgrading to debian buster i cannot access gui. I boot up and it stops services like UiD1000 then stops at "started update utmp about system runlevel changes".
I can log on using tty to terminal; startX terminates with "xinit:connection to X server lost"
Starting a GUI application like firefox displays error "no DISPLAY environment variable specified"
I can't troubleshoot beyond that; any help?