Re: I Miss ckermit in Buster.

Greg Wooledge <wooledg@eeg.ccf.org> writes:
> On Fri, Apr 03, 2020 at 08:14:12AM -0500, John Hasler wrote:
> > Look at gkermit.  It's evidently a GPL rewrite of ckermit.  Also take a
> > look at screen.
>
> Yeah, I did an "apt-cache search ckermit" too.
>
> The package description for gkermit says,
>
>   The non-free package ckermit adds connection
>   establishment, character-set translation and scripting features.
>
> Looks like that sentence is out of date now.  But it's not clear whether
> the additional functionality has been merged into gkermit, or is simply
> *gone*.

	I appreciate the responses.  It looks like gkermit is
just the file transfer which is good that it still exists but I
want the stuff that is gone such as scripting and the ability to
type things that go out over the serial port and receive
anything that comes in without having to write a whole new
program each time.

John Hasler <jhasler@newsguy.com> writes:
 > look at screen.

	I use screen all the time and maybe I am missing
something but what you get with screen is a new shell in each
window, very useful but nothing to do with RS-232 ports.

Martin