kde, localization and keyboards

I've previously used either Gnome or Enlightenment as my main environment; I just installed Debian on an old laptop and decided to give KDE a go instead. I often want to switch keyboard briefly to do a bit of text editing with non-english characters (pt, de, ru). I don't ever want to change localization away from GB English. In Gnome I could do this: switching keyboard had no effect on localization. In KDE I get randomly switch between localizations: for example, I just ran apt install, and the first half of the messages were in Portuguese, then it suddenly switched to German, with no input from me. The only localizations I get match the keyboards I've set up (though I'm not switching keyboard). I've removed all languages except British English from Settings->language->configure plasma translations.

Any suggestions for how to fix this? Is there a configuration option I'm missing?

Graham