Re: Simple software for a scanner with ability to crop (CanoScan LIDE 700F)

On Fri, Mar 06, 2020 at 07:46:05PM +0000, Brian wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 06, 2020 at 07:02:27PM +0100, tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:

[...]

> > Simple-scan is also based on libsane (as Xsane is). It also depends
> > on all those "desktop goodies" [...]

> Like you, my preference is xsane as a fromtend to SANE. However, I do
> not think it is the lack of shinyness that puts users off using it.
> Not completely, anyway. What is perceived as the plethora of options
> and things to click on is a factor, particulary when it comes to new
> or casual users.

I forgot to put a smiley in there :-)

I can imagine that simple-scan caters more to the expectation of
a modern GUI user, and thus may be the better choice, Especially
if said user has already bought into the "desktop" paradigm.

I tried for a while and... it's not for me.

> And don't forget - Ubuntu and Mint (both widely used) ship simple-scan.
> That is what their users are familiar with. It doesn't do a bad job.

Definitely.

Cheers
-- t