Re: cannot view Trash? now gmail rant

On 2020-03-05 18:13, Gene Heskett wrote:
On Thursday 05 March 2020 12:15:27 Jonas Smedegaard wrote:

Quoting kaye n (2020-03-05 18:02:45)

> I'm going to assume that none of you saw or received my email
> earlier, so here it is again.

No, that is not how this mailinglist works.

If you are in doubt that your message was processed, you can check if
it appears in the public archive at
https://lists.debian.org/debian-user/

Kind regards,

 - Jonas

off topic, but how many times do we have to tell gmail users they have to
have 2 accounts, one to send to and one to receive? Otherwise gmail
thinks the echo from a mailing list is a duplicate and deletes it,
making the poor user think his message didn't get posted.

I had, many years ago, some lengthy conversations phone conversations
with google about that policy, and basically that is not open for
discussion, so either go someplace else like your own ISP's mail server,
or get a second account at gmail so you get the echo back. I bailed out
of that scene years ago, and now my ISP, the local cable tv system,
spent some time setting up dovecot and with the exception of ignoreing
fetchmails dele commands after downloading a message because its also
serving up imap from the same database, forceing me to login from a web
browser and delete the old msgs I've already pulled 2-3 times a week.

Thats a PITA too, but its far less of one than dealing with gmail.

/rant off

Cheers, Gene Heskett

gmail seems to respond to getmail request to delete fetched email by changing the tag so that it doesn't show in Inbox or Bin but is still in Allmail.

mick
--
Key ID    4BFEBB31