Re: Advice on upgrading to SSD

Tony van der Hoff wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm currently running Buster on a 5 year old GigaByte motherboard with a
> 10-year old Raid-1 array on 2 500GB disks. Although it is running fine, I'm
> becoming a bit concerned about the longevity of this storage, so I'm
> planning to upgrade it to a 500GB or maybe 1TB SSD from Crucial.
>
> My plan would be to install the SSD in the cage, and dd the contents of the
> array onto the SSD. I would then change the BIOS to boot from the SSD,
> making the RAID array redundant.
>
> Can someone please tell me whether this plan is feasible, and what pitfalls
> I might encounter?

I would recommend:

- install SSD
- partition SSD, aligning partitions with new block sizes
- create filesystems in SSD partitions
- copy over filesystems with rsync
- make changes to new /etc/fstab
- make changes to bootloader to set new root filesystem
- shut down machine
- disconnect old disks
- start machine, make BIOS changes if necessary
- boot
- test for functionality

file-level copying is better than block-level copying when going
between drives of different technologies.

-dsr-