Re: System unusably slow after Debian upgrade.

On Sat, Feb 29, 2020 at 11:50:09AM +0000, G.W. Haywood wrote:
> Yesterday more out of desperation than anything I moved the Postgres
> database (mainly the security camera stuff) from Postgres 9.4 to the
> 11.0 instance which Buster installed and started.  There were in fact
> three instances of Postgres running (9.4, 9.6 and 11.7) after the two
> jumps from Jessie to Stretch to Buster.

I don't think this is related to your performance issues, but after
a release upgrade on a system running the postgresql database server,
you need to migrate the postgresql cluster.  Every time.

The steps are covered in /usr/share/doc/postgresql-*/README.Debian.gz .
Look for the section called "Default clusters and upgrading".