Re: Looking for FOSS supported PCIe x4 SATA 6 Gb/s HBA with 4 or 8 ports

Looking at Wikipedia, PCI Express link performance table:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PCI_Express#History_and_revisions

I believe 2.5 GT/s produces 2.5 Gb/s under PCIe version 1.0.  So, the Syba
specification is correct in this case.

They apparently conflated "GT/sec" and "Gb/sec" (uhh, "conflated" might
be the wrong word).  2.5 GT / sec with an 8/10 encoding scheme, while
"yes" 2.5 gbit worth of data is being transmitted, results in only 2000
mbit (2.0 gbit) of usable data.  The other 500 mbit being eaten by the
overhead.

2000 Mb/s / (8 b/B) = 250 MB/s

which matches the Wikipedia throughput value.

But yeah, I guess this isn't anything more than sidebar to your initial
question :|.  I'll have to dig up what cards I've used in the past (been
a long time since I've had a desktop ... last two PCs have been
laptops).

Okay.

David