Re: FOSS friendly PDA?

On 02/11/2020 02:54 PM, Gene Heskett wrote:
On Tuesday 11 February 2020 15:00:51 Richard Owlett wrote:

On 02/11/2020 10:24 AM, Dan Ritter wrote:
Richard Owlett wrote:
I wish to enter/store data while away from home. The data will then
be transferred to my laptop via a USB cable. [Think the capability
of one of the old Palm Pilots in a smartphone(sic) form factor]

It must use a standard Linux (Debian preferred).
The manufacturer should ship with the Linux installed.
Android is *UNACCEPTABLE*!
It should NOT have cell connectivity.
If it has WiFi, I must be able to disable it.

You want a PinePhone.

https://www.pine64.org/pinephone/

Based on your history, you are now going to tell me that it's
unacceptable, because it's a phone.

ROFL
I had said "should NOT have cell connectivity."
It indeed can meet that preference in two ways:
   1. omit SIM card
   2. set switch to disable the cell modem

I can see practical procurement problems.
The site you gave hasn't updated to report on impact of Coronavirus.
There isn't any indication of any U.S. importer - I don't want to have
the hassle of handling any duties or FCC type acceptance of the
included RF components. My commercial operator license expired decades
ago and have no idea what current rigamarole is now.

FWIW Richard, when the Friendly Candy Commish threw us all under the bus
and burned rubber leaving, they also grandfathered existing licenses for
life.

I only had a 2nd phone. Took the exam in mid/late 60's and never renewed it. I was a member of the Cornell student run station which had a full commercial FM license. With that time frame what's the likelihood I was grandfathered?

I saw that comeing in the later 60's, which is why my card case also
contains a Journeyman CET card. Cost me 20 bucks to sit for that back
in '72, and has paid for itself several thousand times over since. I
didn't crack a book for the earlier 1st phone in 62, nor for the later
CET.

So If you can find your old ticket, its probably still good. If not ask
the Commish for a duplicate. My last pocket copy says it expires in '88
but I've signed papers for station applications using it till now. And
nobody at the commission has ever fussed about it.

Cheers Richard, Gene Heskett