Re: Looking for FOSS supported PCIe x4 SATA 6 Gb/s HBA with 4 or 8 ports

deloptes@gmail.com wrote:
>> My research thus far:
>>
>> 1.  LSI products are popular, but:
>>
>>      a.  Most seem to be PCIe x8.
>>
>>      b.  STFW I see more than a few posts complaining about changing
>> firmware from RAID to non-RAID, buggy firmware releases, and/or
>> motherboard BIOS/UEFI incompatibilities with the flash tools.

Yup. The story here is a major pain, in my experience. Add in the
massive list of unclear vendor-branded cards and it's not something I
could recommend,

>I have this one for may be 7y already.
>
>08:00.0 SCSI storage controller: LSI Logic / Symbios Logic SAS1068E
>PCI-Express Fusion-MPT SAS (rev 08)
>
>https://wiki.pdl.cmu.edu/pub/OpenCloud/CloudManuals/SCG_LSISAS1068E_PB_040407.pdf
>
>It is 3Gb/s - don't know about the newer ones, but this one is working
>perfectly well for all those years 24/7.

That particular model is limited on supported disk sizes, to 2T IIRC -
I bought one from ebay and it was no use at all.

My own choice for more SATA/SAS ports is a Highpoint RocketRAID 2720 -
8 ports on a PCIe 2.0 x8 connector. Supported out of the box using the
mvsas mainline driver.

  Armed with "Valor": "Centurion" represents quality of Discipline,
  Honor, Integrity and Loyalty. Now you don't have to be a Caesar to
  concord the digital world while feeling safe and proud.