Re: usb Confusion

Martin McCormick composed on 2020-02-11 07:31 (UTC-0600):

> 	After recently ordering and receiving a new 1 TB external
> SSD drive, I realized I had no way to connect it.  It has a small
> rectangular slot about 8 MM or a quarter of an inch long.  A Mac
> lightning connector is almost exactly the same size but
> fortunately doesn't plug in but that's the size of whatever fits.
> Crucial says it is usb-A .

> 	What is the correct nomenclature for the most common usb
> connector that has been around for 25 or 30 years and fits the
> vast majority of devices using usb?

> 	I'll need a cable that fits the old standard usb port on
> one end and the disk drive on the other.

> 	There's an old saying:  "Standards are great.  Everybody
> should have one."

Pick the one that matches from:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB

	Mini A
	Mini B
	Micro B
	Micro AB

I probably have 3 or more of each, and also have one of Micro B, only 8 or so
inches long that came with a 2.5" drive enclosure.

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/