So Far No usb Boot HP Pavillion

Here is the system info:

OS Name:                   Microsoft Windows 10 Home
OS Version:                10.0.17763 N/A Build 17763
OS Build Type:             Multiprocessor Free
System Model:              HP Pavilion Desktop 590-p0xxx
System Type:               x64-based PC
Processor(s):              1 Processor(s) Installed.
                           [01]: AMD64 Family 23 Model 17 Stepping 0 AuthenticAMD ~1600 Mhz
BIOS Version:              AMI F.15, 7/24/2018

	In order to theoretically make this system boot from a
usb port, one must go in to BIOS settings and disable secureboot
then change the boot sequence order such that the first boot
device is usb/CDROM/floppy followed by the inturnal hard drive.

	We did all that and, when you do that, the system puts
out a code that you enter on next boot, okaying the change.

	A friend and I did all that and it still works booting
Windows, but I want to boot debian in order to mount the hard
drive and make a clone to another usb-mounted 1 TB drive because
I deleted some files I'd like to get back and better safe than
sorry.  Fortunately, the drive only had 60 GB out of 1 TB  used
and the Recycle Bin had not been emptied so it's possible I
should get back the 2 or 3 files I really want, the rest being
expendable but a clone drive to play with is better than playing
with the internal drive.

	Here is the iso image I got to boot Debian:

debian-live-10.2.0-amd64-mate.iso

	The iso image is about 2.5 GB and I have tried both a 4
and an 8 GB thumb drive, using the command

sudo dd if=debian-live-10.2.0-amd64-mate.iso of=/dev/sde

Of course the OF= command will vary depending on how many drives
are connected to your PC.

	When starting from power off, the system blows by the usb
boot drive like it wasn't there.  End of story.

	The system otherwise still works as before.  I did try a
bootable CDROM and heard a slight convulsion of activity in the
CDR drive but then realized it was a 32-bit version so of course
it didn't boot.

	Any other ideas as to how I can get this project off of
high center?  It might be interesting to try an old-school CDROM
of any of the recent debian versions if I can find an image that
fits on a 650-MB disk as I don't have any writable DVD's and am
not sure if any of the drives I have can burn a DVD.  The image
would also need to be for AMD64.

	Any constructive suggestions are much appreciated.

Martin McCormick