Re: LibreOffice takes about 35 seconds to fully open

On Fri, 7 Feb 2020 20:02:57 +0000
Brad Rogers <brad@fineby.me.uk> wrote:

> On Fri, 7 Feb 2020 10:45:43 -0800
> Patrick Bartek <nemommxiv@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hello Patrick,
>
> >On Fri, 7 Feb 2020 06:45:43 +0000
> >Brad Rogers <brad@fineby.me.uk> wrote:
> >> I note that Patrick says his starts in 3 or 4 secs.  I was going to
> >I use version 6.1.  When I load via the "libreoffice" menu item, I get
> >a window that lists all the libreoffice apps' files.  I started
> >Writer from it.  I also cold rebooted the system and started Writer
> >directly from the menu.  Took about 5 or 6 seconds to load.
>
> I've not timed mine, but it takes at least 30 seconds.
>
> I should, for the sake of full disclosure, say that my machine is almost
> a decade old with only a dual core processor.  That certainly won't
> help, I'm sure.  The disks are spinning, not SSDs.

Well, a slow dual core CPU is certainly a problem with today's
software.  Even my previous 13-year-old box is a quad-core/4-threads,
but started out in 2007 as a single core, then upgraded, first to a
dual-core, then quad.  My current system is a Ryzen
hex-core/12-threads.  Makes a difference.  Very snappy now even with an
5-year-old spinning drive.

> >Firstly, I have a very lean system.  No desktop and all the background
>
> Running KDE, but not with 'everything' on a desktop machine.  I've tried
> leaner DEs and WMs, but always come back to KDE.

If KDE is what you like, stay with it. Just be prepared for lackluster
performance from 10-year-old hardware which will become even more
lackluster as you upgrade software.  I had gotten to the point where I
could no longer tolerate that. The slight delay before menus appeared.
 Ditto application responses.  Annoyed me no end.  So when I upgraded
the old system OS from Fedore 12 to Wheezy seven or so years ago, I
decided to abandoned the CPU cycle-hungry desktop in favor of a window
manager and panel, and a part-by-part lean install starting with just a
terminal system. Just doing that gave me a noticeable performance boost
without having to spend any money to upgrade hardware.

FWIW, the easiest way these days to improve performance of an old
sluggish system is to install an SSD as the system drive, if your system
is compatible. As SSDs are usually 4 to 6 times faster than a spinning
drive, booting and loading applications will be much faster without
having to do anything else.

> So, we can start to see where some of my problems are, perhaps.  TBH, it
> doesn't really bother me.  Once I start LO it stays open until I shut
> down or reboot.  I suppose I /could/ autostart it, along with several
> other apps I use, but that would make for a much longer starting
> process, as there'd be half a dozen fairly hefty apps all competing;
> Claws Mail, Libre Office, Gramps, Pale Moon, tellico and mikutter are all
> frequently used here.

With only 6 GB of RAM, you might run low running all that.  And that
will defintely affect performance.