Re: LibreOffice takes about 35 seconds to fully open

On Fri, 7 Feb 2020 09:09:15 +0000
Joe <joe@jretrading.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 7 Feb 2020 06:45:43 +0000
> Brad Rogers <brad@fineby.me.uk> wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 7 Feb 2020 10:17:09 +0800
> > kaye n <guikaye@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hello kaye,
> >
> > >I was just wondering if it takes about 35 seconds for your Debian
> > >system to
> >
> > At least.  As you say, subsequent starts are much faster.
> >
> > I note that Patrick says his starts in 3 or 4 secs.  I was going to
> > suggest that he's using the LO quick starter, but that seems to be
> > long gone - the option to use it is not there in 6.4.
> >
> > No idea why Patrick's getting a much quicker start.
> >

> Drives? Presumably Patrick's fancy system uses SSD, maybe the OP has
> real hard drives.

Nope. Regular spinning hard drive.  A 4 or 5 year old, 7200 RPM, WD
500GB SATA II (NOT III!), MBR configured from the 13 year old system.
It had replaced as system drive the original 160GB one which after
13 years of spinning, I was getting nervous about failing.

For the curious out there, the reason I'm running that old drive in the
new system is at the time I built the new system, I hadn't decided how
I wanted to configure it as I had no experience and little knowledge of
SSDs, 2.5 inchers or M.2s, SATAs or NVME, their advantages and
disadvantages, etc.  And the new system has lots of drive
configuration options to consider not only for now, but for the future.