Re: local network capability scanner?

On Friday 07 February 2020 10:20:45 David Wright wrote:

> On Fri 07 Feb 2020 at 08:12:18 (-0500), Gene Heskett wrote:
> > I was trying different ways to move a kernel src to the pi for
> > making and also reached the conclusion that mc was for some reason
> > terminally slow at unpacking an .xz kernel and writing the unpack
> > across the network. It was promising me a 43+ hour ETC. And was
> > showing figures when it updated the screen here as 4.3
> > kilobytes/second? Really?
>
> Ooh, gosh, don't do that! Even with a cat5 cable between two machines,
> unpacking an archive across the link with mc will take at least 100x
> more than transferring the archive and unpacking at the destination,
> even if you do said unpacking with mc.

you miss-understood, both the archive and mc were on this machine and
only the output of the unpack was going out over the cat5.

> fish is fine for the odd file transfer, and I guess it's faster than
> kermit (untested), but there's a large overhead on each file.

I don't use fish that I know of.  Thats not to say mc isn't using it.  In
which case someone has been playing with mc that has no clue what they
are doing.

> > So I stopped that, killed the partial copy, backed out and copied
> > the whole image to the pi in just 2 or 3 minutes, with mc, then
> > unxz'd it on the pi in maybe 3 minutes.  Made sure it was set for
> > arch/arm with a bcm2835_defconfig, verified it said fully
> > preemptible and turned off the wifi.  Then built the realtime kernel
> > in around an hour, installed it and its been running since
> > yesterday. Best kernel I've built yet. Latency about 16
> > microseconds. Sweet even.
> >
> > So maybe bit rot in mc? DIIK.
>
> Take a look at the scripts in /usr/lib/mc/fish/ and imagine running a
> couple of them on each and every file in the kernel.

According to the README.fish, there, mc does use the scripts in that
directory.  But fish itself is not installed.

Perhaps it should be? And the slowness is because its not?  Another DIIK.

And this has been a linux only house since I built my first linux box in
1998, networking it to use my stuffed amiga 2000 as its dialup port.
Around here, I bought my first winblows machine last summer because the
linux scripts to display a redpitaya's VNA output didn't work on debian.

> > But the job is done, and in a day or so,
> > when I know its stable, I'll put the output up as a tarball on my
> > web page for others to use.
> >
> > Too bad debian does not support the pi's past a pi3.
>
> Cheers,
> David.

Thanks David.

Cheers, Gene Heskett