Re: local network capability scanner?

On Vi, 07 feb 20, 02:04:17, Gene Heskett wrote:
> Greetings all;
>
> My local network has 2 8 port switches, one here in this room that claims
> to be a gigabit and managed.
>
> One of its ports is connected to the upstream port of another dumber
> unmanaged 8 port switch that feeds the machines in the garage, and which
> also claims to be a gigahertz capable switch.
>
> But file moves to/from the machines in the garage seems to indicate
> theres a slow connection of around 10Mb/s someplace in that path.

Considering the type of machines you have it could be a storage
limitation, i.e. you're not going to get Gbit speeds from USB2 attached
storage.

Check 'ethtool <network_device_name>' on each of those systems, possibly
one or more are connected at lower than 1Gbit.

> Do we have a utitity that for troubleshooting purposes, can take the
> address of one of those machines, and somewhat like traceroute, but
> report the bandwidth capability of every box in that path including this
> machine and target addresses abilities?

You can test the bandwidth with iperf. Run the server on one system and
test from each of the other systems.

Kind regards,
Andrei