Re: How to set Gedit left margin to 80 characters

On Thu, Jan 30, 2020, 03:18 Andrei POPESCU <andreimpopescu@gmail.com> wrote:
On Mi, 29 ian 20, 09:52:29, Default User wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 29, 2020, 02:17 Andrei POPESCU <andreimpopescu@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > If you take suggestions for editors you might as well look into (g)vim,
> > or cream if you find the learning curve too steep.
>
> Andrei, thank you for the suggestions.
>
> I don't know anything about cream, but I'll look it up.
>
> As for *vi* . . .  I have tried to use that, but I just can't seem to "get"
> modal editing. To me it is just too difficult and non-intuitive. Which is a
> shame, because otherwise it seems to have a lot of good points.

'cream' is just some macros on top of vim to make it easier to use. It
can also be an entry point to vim "proper" (it was for me).

Kind regards,
Andrei

Sorry, I've been away for a few days.

Andrei, thank you for the information about "cream". Unfortunately, I just can not "do" modal editing. It just doesn't work for me.

Just a note: Gedit DOES word-wrap at the screen edge after all. But only seems to wrap at a space following a word.

On my computer, I have "enable text wrapping" and "do not split words over two lines" selected in "Preferences". At the beginning of a line, if I hold down the "x" key, and let it auto-type "x's", it will reach the display right edge and just keep going (not wrap).

But, at line beginning, if I type "asdf asdf asdf . . . " repeatedly, it will wrap after column 80 (soft-wrap, I assume).

With "do not split words over two lines" unselected, it wraps after column 82, splitting an "asdf ".

Thanks to the Emacs documentation for hinting at this.

Still no obvious way to set the wrap at another column, for example, column 70 or 72 in Gedit.

Why this behavior? Perhaps, as Gene pointed out, Gedit may be considered a "text editor", not a "word processor". And as someone suggested online, developers might be concerned that "newbies" might mess up configuration files, maybe not even be able to reboot correctly, if word-wrap was enabled in an "editor" like Gedit.

So they shamelessly and unapologetically pander to the lowest common denominator.