Re: Why I don't like UUIDs (Re: can't mount sdf1 in stretch, gparted claims its fat32)

>>What he meant is that filesystem UUIDs are (re)created automatically
>>based on a heuristic of what it means for a filesystem to be "the same".
> You understand that he didn't actually say that, right? This seems like your
> own personal bugaboo instead.

Definitely.

> I dislike using names becaues it's *much* more common to find name
> collisions than UUID collisions. (E.g., a bunch of disks with
> filesystems all labeled with easy to remember names like "root" or "home".)

Yes, that happens frequently with filesystem labels, which is why I much
prefer LVM names.

> LVM is more resistant to that as long as you keep the vg names unique.

Indeed, my VG names are always unique and descriptive.

> I'm trying to think of a reason to rename the root partition that doesn't
> involve downtime and coming up empty.

The root partition is always called "root", which is why I was talking
about renaming the VGs rather the LVs.

Yes, it usually involves downtime for some other related reason, but
every time I've had to change a VG's name it would have been *much* more
convenient to do it while the system is up (e.g. would have shortened
the downtime and the administration time noticeably).

Renaming the root VG is really the only case where I find LVM names to
be a point of friction.

        Stefan