Re: 3200G Ryzen 3 / Vega 8 for Buster?

On 2020-02-05 02:55 -0500, Felix Miata wrote:

> Is it enough to upgrade to buster-backports kernel and AMD firmware to run Xorg on
> the 3200G CPU/APU?

That should be enough, at least to get a picture on the screen and run
X.  I am not sure about 3D acceleration, this might need a newer Mesa
version than in buster, and there is no backport yet.

> The R7 Kaveri motherboard/APU of a friend who is virtually
> blind fried. When he has hardware trouble, it's me gets to figure out howto and
> fix it. He bought the new goodies on assumption they are enough for support from
> Stable, but apparently that's not the case. X is not able to run, as Xorg.0.log
> reports there is no framebuffer device or /dev/dri/card0.

Support for the 3200G was added in Linux 4.20 and buster uses 4.19, so
this is to be expected.

Cheers,
       Sven