Re: Why I don't like UUIDs (Re: can't mount sdf1 in stretch, gparted claims its fat32)

>>> Me too, so I usually label the permanent stuff at least. UUID's can and
>>> will change for no detectable reason.
>> For those reading along or finding this in search results: no, filesystem
>> UUIDs don't change for no detectable reason. Don't implement anything based
>> on this theory.
>
> What he meant is that filesystem UUIDs are (re)created automatically

Your "analysis" appears to be more like what you want to mean than
what Gene was meaning.

> based on a heuristic of what it means for a filesystem to be "the same".

> This heuristic can be wrong in both directions: sometimes you delete and
>create a new filesystem which is supposed to "be" the same filesystem as

This seems like an eminently detectable reason for a UUID change to me.

--
"J'ai pour me guérir du jugement des autres toute la distance qui me sépare de
moi." Antonin Artaud