Re: can't mount sdf1 in stretch, gparted claims its fat32

On Tuesday 04 February 2020 08:51:47 Stefan Monnier wrote:

> >> I bet some of his RT patches caused a mess
> >
> > Nope, I just needed to reboot.
>
> "Needed to reboot" in this context means "need to work around a bug".
> I have no idea whether that bug has anything to with the RT patches,
> but the fact that rebooting avoided the problem is at least no proof
> that the problem was not caused by the RT patches (nor the opposite).
>

>         Stefan
Uptime is as you point out, dependent on the kernel. One of my machines
at the farthest reaches of my local net, running wheezy and a small
metal lathe, copy paste from an ssh login:
gene@lathe:~$ uname -a
Linux lathe 3.4-9-rtai-686-pae #1 SMP PREEMPT Debian 3.4.55-4linuxcnc
i686 GNU/Linux
gene@lathe:~$ uptime
 11:09:34 up 167 days, 14:06, 1 user, load average: 0.00, 0.01, 0.05

And that machine hasn't a ups.

various other machines running newer stuff have shorter uptimes with a
ups, this one running stretch:

gene@coyote:/media/sde1$ uname -a
Linux coyote 4.9.0-11-rt-amd64 #1 SMP PREEMPT RT Debian 4.9.189-3+deb9u2
(2019-11-11) x86_64 GNU/Linux

has never run more than about 30 days, with a ups, without developing an
excuse to reboot it, in this present case 34 days. Timer wrap, whatever,
its only good for about 30 days. The glaring exception to the newer=
shorter uptmes is the rpi4 running one of my lathes, It now has a ups,
and if I don't reboot it, it will run till the rapture.

One thing I don't do if I can help it, is spin down spinning rust, worst
thing you every do short of a 30-06 thru it to a hard drive. I've an
original seacrate 1T drive spinning in this machine with over 80,000
spinning hours on it, still has the 25 reallocated sectors it had when I
updated the firmwear in it when it was about 30 days old. I've had 2
drives fail out of 9 here in the time since I jumped from amigados to
linux in 1999. Skipped windows although I had to buy a cheap one last
summer to use as a display for a redpitaya's vector network analyzer.
I've replaced several because I outgrew them, but only 2 outright
failures in 2 decades. I think thats pretty good.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
 - Louis D. Brandeis