Re: can't mount sdf1 in stretch, gparted claims its fat32

On Tue, Feb 04, 2020 at 11:24:56AM -0500, Michael Stone wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 04, 2020 at 11:06:10AM -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > Me too, so I usually label the permanent stuff at least. UUID's can and
> > will change for no detectable reason.
>
> For those reading along or finding this in search results: no, filesystem
> UUIDs don't change for no detectable reason. Don't implement anything based
> on this theory.

I was just about to make a similar reply.  The only time a file system's
UUID changes is if you destroy and recreate the file system, or go out
of your way to change the UUID through some file-system-specific tool
like xfs_admin -U uuid.

But, labels are great.  If you like using labels, that's fantastic.  Keep
doing that.