Re: configure asus amd uefi bios for netinst

Russell L. Harris composed on 2020-02-02 06:58 (UTC):

> I have not yet managed to figure out the proper BIOS configuration to
> get an AsusPRO (desktop computer) to boot from a USB flash stick for
> netinstall of Debian 10.  The USB flash stick has Debian 10.2; I used
> it about a week ago for a netinstall on another machine.

> The BOOT screen of the Asus UEFI BIOS utility has three sections which
> appear applicable:

> (1) Compatibility Support Module
> (2) Secure Boot
> (3) Boot Options Priorities
> (4) Boot Override

> In both "Boot Options Priorities" and "Boot Override", the USB flash
> stick appears twice:

>   = UEFI: Patriot Memory PMAP (7643MB)
>   = Patriot Memory PMAP (7643MB)

ISTR two selections pointing to same device is a consequence of having CSM enabled.

> The "Boot Override" section appears to be simply a shortcut to "Save
> Configuration and Reset" for each of the boot options.

No idea whether this could help, but when I boot 10.2 NetInst CD on my 2 year old
Intel Asus desktop with AMI/Aptio BIOS, F8 produces a 3 item selection of

	UEFI OS (on M.2 NVME)
	UEFI DVD RW drive
	Enter Setup

Choosing the optical drive eventually produces an expected installer menu, though
in unexpected GUI mode rather than text as I am used to with Debian's net installers.

In BIOS setup I have:

	CSM disabled
	Secure boot disabled
	Boot option priorities:
		1 UEFI HDD
		2 UEFI USB
		3 UEFI CDROM
		4-8 disabled
	Boot override lists the first two choices from the F8 screen (as above).

Selecting either boot override from BIOS setup causes it to proceed with booting
the highlighted device.

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/