Re: New list for Raspbian? (was: Re: systemdq)

On Monday 30 December 2019 14:49:36 ghe wrote:

> Goodness. My asking for a little help with systemd seems to have
> started the closest thing to a flame war I remember seeing on a Debian
> mailing list.
>
> I apologize for that, but I learned a lot. SSH works now, but I can't
> get my own *.service file to work at boot (does manually, though), but
> I now have several things to look for.
>
> With this problem, I probably should have asked the systemd-user list,
> but it doesn't exist. The systemd-devel list does and they say user
> questions are welcome, but subscribing to it is a real PITA, and the
> process didn't work for me (the web page kept saying I didn't respond
> to the Capcha -- there was none).
>

> To the subject at hand:
>
> On 12/30/19 10:40 AM, rhkramer@gmail.com wrote:
> > I find forums much less convenient than mail
> > lists.
>
> As do I. That's why I asked the debian-user list. On this list, you
> ask a question; you usually get a knowledgeable human on the other end
> with an answer in just a few minutes.
>
> So let me add a vote for the suggestion that a raspian-user list would
> be a good idea. Even though it would likely quickly fill up with
> people trying to build science fair projects.
>
> A systemd-user list would be a good idea too.

+10 Glenn, we need a pair of new lists, but I'd name the new debian list
debian-arm-user, and if it really worked, raspbian might become the
media mecca it wants to be, leaving those of us who want to do real but
non-media work using debian on arm hardware, to wag that dog. I don't
think having raspbian in the list name would do anything but dilute it
as you alluded to already. There is lots of other arm based hardware
being peddled besides the r-pi's, and which are sorely lacking in
non-media support. A real list, supporting debian linux on some of these
other platforms, could rake in 1000's of new debian arm users rather
quickly.

Cheers Glenn and a better 2020 to all, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
 - Louis D. Brandeis