Re: realtime kernel on ARM hardware

On Monday 30 December 2019 13:26:27 Jonas Smedegaard wrote:

> Quoting Gene Heskett (2019-12-30 18:37:34)
>
> > On Monday 30 December 2019 11:05:15 Jonas Smedegaard wrote:
> > > Quoting Gene Heskett (2019-12-30 16:48:20)

> > > I fully understand how running 32bit has its use even for hardware
> > > supporting 64bit.  But if I understand you correctly that you
> > > tried only the arm64 image before giving up and moving to a
> > > different distribution, then I don't understand why - Buster
> > > support both armhf and arm64: https://www.debian.org/CD/netinst/
> >
> > I must have come to a page similar, but to not recall previously
> > seeing all the choices showing on that page linked above. I saw one
> > choice only for the netinstall at the time I downloaded the iso.
> > ISTR it was about a week after buster was announced.
> >
> > Would it have made a difference when asking about a realtime kernel
> > for it?
>
> I don't understand your question - yes, I guess that if you had seen
> (not some other misleading page but) the official Debian page listing
> both armhf and arm64 options then you would have tried the armhf
> option before looking outside of Debian, which I guess would have
> affected how you would then have phrased questions here related to
> your (then different) journey.
>
> ...but I suspect I misunderstood and your question above is another.
>

>  - Jonas

To Clarify Jonas: for a debian armhf install of buster.

Yes, debian has a "debian-arm" mailing list but its miss-named as its
actually for debian-arm-devels only as has been made very plain to me on
several occasions when I have posted pleas for user help to it.

If debian was serious about supporting the "arm's" that would have been
fixed several years ago by moving that list and its contents
to "debian-arm-devel", and instituting a new "debian-arm-users" list.

But my "oar" here steering this "ship of state" is no bigger than a
toothpick. ;-)

Cheers Jonas, and have a better 2020, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
 - Louis D. Brandeis