Re: realtime kernel on ARM hardware

On Monday 30 December 2019 11:05:15 Jonas Smedegaard wrote:

> Quoting Gene Heskett (2019-12-30 16:48:20)
>
> > On Monday 30 December 2019 10:01:59 Jonas Smedegaard wrote:
> > > Quoting Gene Heskett (2019-12-30 15:39:20)

> > > [ Raspbian details snipped ]
> > >
> > > How do Debian with linux-image-rt-* perform on that hardware?
> > >
> > > https://packages.debian.org/search?keywords=linux-image-rt
> >
> > I can't directly answer that, Jonas, as I shifted my attention to
> > raspbian when I tried a netinstall of the buster original image and
> > found it was arm64.
>
> I fully understand how running 32bit has its use even for hardware
> supporting 64bit.  But if I understand you correctly that you tried
> only the arm64 image before giving up and moving to a different
> distribution, then I don't understand why - Buster support both armhf
> and arm64: https://www.debian.org/CD/netinst/
>
> [ Armbian details snipped ]
>

>  - Jonas

I must have come to a page similar, but to not recall previously seeing
all the choices showing on that page linked above. I saw one choice only
for the netinstall at the time I downloaded the iso. ISTR it was about a
week after buster was announced.

Would it have made a difference when asking about a realtime kernel for
it?

If the armhf netinstall boots via grub I'd consider that enough of a
plus, as I might do a rebuild as all those srcs are on a separate drive
I could disconnect while the netinstall was running. 64 gig u-sd cards I
have already.

Thank you.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)