Re: considering a new system and a sshd hybrid drive

On 29.12.2019 16:56, Gene Heskett wrote:
On Sunday 29 December 2019 04:42:20 Alexander V. Makartsev wrote:

On 29.12.2019 12:37, shirish शिरीष wrote:
Dear all,

Last year I had read some articles when I was looking to build a
system there seemed to problems with hybrid drives. Does anybody
know how things stand/look today and if anybody had any good/bad
experience with them ?  IIRC, the issues were more to do with the
firmware rather than the hardware, is it the same or have things
improved ? which package I should be looking at if I'm looking for
solutions ?

I am ok with using either a stable or an alpha/debian-installer
snapshot if people have had good experience.

Just so people have an idea about what hybrid drives are all about,
here are couple of links

https://www.seagate.com/in/en/do-more/how-to-choose-between-hdd-stor
age-for-your-laptop-master-dm/

https://www.howtogeek.com/195262/hybrid-hard-drives-explained-why-yo
u-might-want-one-instead-of-an-ssd/
I strongly suggest against hybrid drives. It's just added complexity
and therefore more ways and parts to fail with time.
If you considering to buy hybrid HDD, chances are high you simply want
faster performance for your system. I don't see why to choose slightly
better solution (hybrid) over fastest one (SSDs).
For a system disk and\or laptop upgrade, I'd stick with plain
MLC-based (2 bit) NAND 250GB+ SSD (or NVMe if your system allows it),
because they have the best reliability+performance+price ratings. Try
to avoid TLC-based SSDs because they have much lower reliability and
performance in comparison to MLC-based SSDs, but also much cheaper.
And completely avoid QLC-based SSDs, which are cheap, but slow and
unreliable, similar to USB flash drives.
Backup your data (obvious), monitor health of your SSDs using
S.M.A.R.T. and you'll be just fine.
Also, watch out for manufacturers who use dark marketing practices,
offering MLC-based (3-bit) NAND in advertisement, which is non-sense,
but in reality they should be called TLC-based (3-bit) NAND, and also
avoid manufacturers who is hiding real TBW or DWPD ratings of their
SSD products and offer only useless MTBF rating.
By using TBW or DWPD ratings you can calculate how long SSD will last
in your estimated work-load.
So how does one tell what sort of a drive I've bought half a dozen of for
under a 50 dollar bill for a 240 gig with a sata interface actually is?
ADATA's on sale usually.

I've so far used them for a couple years, either on a std sata cable, as
the only drive in a cnc machine or on a usb-3 to sata adapter. I've had
zero drive failures and one adapter cable failure, with the 2 latest
installed as swap and work drives for compiling both kernels and makeing
deb's of linuxcnc on an rpi4. Cuts a kernel build time by several hours,
but I have noted they do get a lot slower if the file being copied is
several gigabytes. Giving an 2Gb rpi4 a 10 Gb swap to play in is plumb
amazing. Using 197 megs to build the rs-274 interpreter of linuxcnc
there was no slowdown while doing it.

There may be better choices out there, and I'd like to be able to tell
the difference, but these so far have been more that good enough
for "the girls I go with".

Cheers, Gene Heskett
You have to read through specifications that are available on official web site of the manufacturer.
In addition to what I described in my previous email for OP, ADATA is also takes an opportunity to trick their customers, for an example they sell "Ultimate SU650" model which, according to their web site filter [1] could be either TLC or MLC type, and you still can't tell exact NAND type by reading specifications table [2] or the sticker on the device itself.
Obviously, there is no way to see if manufacturers are lying about their specifications before you actually buy the specific model of SSD. And after you bought it, you can check the internals of it with SSD-Z utility. [3]
I don't know if similar utility exists for Linux, though.

[1] https://www.adata.com/en/Solid-State-Drives/25/
[2] https://www.adata.com/en/specification/503
[3] http://aezay.dk/aezay/ssdz/

--