On systemd, raspbian and off-topics [was: systemdq]

On Sun, Dec 29, 2019 at 06:57:12PM -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Sunday 29 December 2019 17:19:06 tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:

[...]

> Unforch Tomas, we are not likely to see any progress toward acceptance of
> systemd [...]

I'm not asking for "acceptance of systemd" or something (FWIW I
still run a systemd-free Debian Buster here, for a reason!). I'm
asking for a polite, civilised way of treating each other. And
hopin this "LP" (sic!) bashing stops. Just treat each other civilly.

Is that that hard?

> Chasing us off from asking raspbian related questions here, is a lost
> cause because [...]

Please, don't misrepresent me. I *never* "chased anyone off" from
asking raspbian. On the contrary: I think fringe-Deian questions
to be on topic here, to get a feel on how different Debian derivatives
relate to each other. But I know there are people who disagree.

[about off-topic tangents]

> I don't like it, helpfull folks like you don't like it. But thats how it
> actually works.

I actually do enjoy off-topic tangents, and think they belong into
such general mailing lists as this. If it deviates too far from my
interests, I just bow out politelly.

What I really do care for is (a) to express disagreement in a civil
manner (you don't like systemd? just don't use it, even better: help
others with your experience. But don't mention LP [1] at every turn
in the discussion as if he were the Devil incarnate. This is so wrong
on so many accounts that I don't know where to start). And (b)
always think that there are ~3000 readers of this list, so do fix
your subjects when swerving off-topic. And, oh, (c) accept that there
are other views, and that (gasp!) they might be right.

Cheers

[1] he's writing free software for you & me to use as we wish,
   after all, no?

-- tomás