Re: Re: Re: No security support for binutils and libqt5webkit5, what to do?

Quoting Andreas (2019-12-30 03:44:43)

> > > that's reassuring. But were is Debian communicating this important
> > > bit of information?
>
> > I am not so sure that it is reassuring.
>
> > Question is not if upstream supports their own (continuously changing)
> > code, but if the stable code distributed with Debian is supported.
>
> I was supposing that Mark's answer implied that (against general
> policies of debian and for reasons unknown to me) in this case
> security changes of upstream would be passed on to debian, even if
> binutils is "not covered by security support". If this is (probably?)
> not the case, the fact that binutils is supported by upstream of
> course is of no help.
>
> It's difficult to swallow that in *stable* debian should leave its
> users alone as to the security of such a central peace of software as
> binutils. So I'm still hoping to find out that security updates for
> binutils in debian stable are in some (maybe unconventional way)
> secured.

If it was secured, then command "check-support-status" in package
debian-security-support would not list it as "Not covered by security
support".

If you are still not convinced, then I recommend that you ask Debian
security team for further clarification rather than your fellow Debian
users here.

 - Jonas