Windows install on 4 partitions? (was: Re: INQUIRY)

On Saturday, December 28, 2019 03:46:53 PM Doug McGarrett wrote:
> I bought a new computer last summer, and it came with Windows 10 on FOUR
> partitions! I shrank the Windows partition 4 to 100 GiB to allow a
> minimum Windows system for anything that won't run on OpenSUSE TW, and
> made a new partition for Linux, using a disk for GParted. Works fine.

Interesting, I'm wondering about the logic behind that -- was that an effort to
segregate the user's "real" data (photos, videos, email, ...) on a separate
partition?

Which manufacturer?  What is on /dev/sda3 and /dev/sda4?  (Are /dev/sda1 and
/dev/sda2 as described in the original email (Windows and Windows recovery
partitions)?

I don't remember the correct terminology, but is the partioning done under whe
old scheme (where there can be up to 4 primary partitions or 3 primary
partions and then (hmm, iirc, up to 12?) extended partitions "under" /dev/sda,
or under the new scheme (which I don't remember enough about to describe -- I
vaguely think a lot more partitions and all of them primary?)?