Re: considering a new system and a sshd hybrid drive

On 29.12.2019 12:37, shirish शिरीष wrote:
Dear all,

Last year I had read some articles when I was looking to build a
system there seemed to problems with hybrid drives. Does anybody know
how things stand/look today and if anybody had any good/bad experience
with them ?  IIRC, the issues were more to do with the firmware rather
than the hardware, is it the same or have things improved ? which
package I should be looking at if I'm looking for solutions ?

I am ok with using either a stable or an alpha/debian-installer
snapshot if people have had good experience.

Just so people have an idea about what hybrid drives are all about,
here are couple of links

https://www.seagate.com/in/en/do-more/how-to-choose-between-hdd-storage-for-your-laptop-master-dm/

https://www.howtogeek.com/195262/hybrid-hard-drives-explained-why-you-might-want-one-instead-of-an-ssd/

I strongly suggest against hybrid drives. It's just added complexity and therefore more ways and parts to fail with time.
If you considering to buy hybrid HDD, chances are high you simply want faster performance for your system. I don't see why to choose slightly better solution (hybrid) over fastest one (SSDs).
For a system disk and\or laptop upgrade, I'd stick with plain MLC-based (2 bit) NAND 250GB+ SSD (or NVMe if your system allows it), because they have the best reliability+performance+price ratings. Try to avoid TLC-based SSDs because they have much lower reliability and performance in comparison to MLC-based SSDs, but also much cheaper. And completely avoid QLC-based SSDs, which are cheap, but slow and unreliable, similar to USB flash drives.
Backup your data (obvious), monitor health of your SSDs using S.M.A.R.T. and you'll be just fine.
Also, watch out for manufacturers who use dark marketing practices, offering MLC-based (3-bit) NAND in advertisement, which is non-sense, but in reality they should be called TLC-based (3-bit) NAND, and also avoid manufacturers who is hiding real TBW or DWPD ratings of their SSD products and offer only useless MTBF rating.
By using TBW or DWPD ratings you can calculate how long SSD will last in your estimated work-load.

--
With kindest regards, Alexander.

⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⢿⡄⠘⠷⠚⠋⠀ https://www.debian.org