Re: help with installation?

On Tue, 24 Dec 2019 11:49:39 -0600
Kent West <westk@acu.edu> wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 24, 2019 at 11:11 AM kaye n <guikaye@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Tue, Dec 24, 2019 at 6:37 PM Richard Owlett <rowlett@cloud85.net>
> > wrote:
> >

> >> Exactly which ISO file did you download?
> >>
> >> That paragraph describes what you would see if you ran the netinst.iso
> >> WITHOUT an active network connection.
> >>
> >> IOW, for whatever reason, the installer does not have access to a
> >> repository.
> >>

> > It's the debian-10.2.0-amd64-netinst.iso
> >
> > I did ran the .iso without an active network connection, because it
> > refused to connect to my wifi.  It asked for the ESSID (?), which I assumed
> > is the same as SSID, so I typed in the SSID and the password, but it just
> > would not connect.
> >

> Wireless adapters are typically not well-supported with Free software; I
> believe what you're running into is the lack of appropriate hardware
> drivers for your wireless NIC, because the drivers in the default Debian
> are not Free.
>
> You'll need to add the "non-free" option to your "/etc/apt/sources.list",

Small but important correction: it's not generally the drivers that are
non-free, but the firmware. The difference is that drivers run on the
system running Debian, while the firmware is uploaded to the NIC and
runs on that. This distinction may or may not matter to you, depending
on your political / ethical / technical perspectives, but it should be
understood.

Celejar