Re: help with installation?

I MESSED UP THE THREAD! SORRY ABOUT THAT!

Hi. I'm the OP.  I've been installing different distros the easy way for a few years now, that is why want to try the minimalist method as Joe suggested.
Had quite a few problems unfortunately.

I followed the following steps found in this link:  https://www.debian.org/releases/stable/amd64/ch04s03.en.html#usb-copy-isohybrid

The CD or DVD image you choose should be written directly to the USB stick, overwriting its current contents. For example, when using an existing GNU/Linux system, the CD or DVD image file can be written to a USB stick as follows, after having made sure that the stick is unmounted:

# cp debian.iso /dev/sdX
# sync

When it got to the part where it says:

At the moment, only the core of the system is installed. To tune the system to your needs, you can choose to install one or more of the following predefined collections of software.

 Under this message, instead of showing tick boxes of the different desktop environments to choose from, along with web server, print server, SSH server, standart system utilities, there was only one tick box, the one for standard system utilities, that's it, just one.  Is that normal?

Before this window though, there was an internet connection setup.
I had to manually enter ESSID, which I assume is the same as ESSID, and the password.  I double checked and triple checked the eessid and the password, but it would not connect.

Despite being a GNU/Linux user for years, it seems I am still not educated enough to do this kind of installation, but I would like to learn.

What I want to do is finish the initial installation without any desktop environments, which probably means I would log in to a command prompt. I guess then I would install icewm via command?

By the way, I used debian-10.2.0-amd64-netinst.iso

Thank you for your time!