Re: help with installation?

Hi,

On Thu, 19 Dec 2019 20:13:42 +0800
kaye n <guikaye@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello, is this where I can ask for help?
>
> I am not new to GNU/Linux, but I am new to Debian.  I actually don't
> know much despite being a Linux user for years, so here's a few
> questions before I start installing.
>
> 1.  I want to install via Live USB.  I want a 64-bit debian.
>
>      I am currently in the page:
>      https://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/current-live/amd64/bt-hybrid/
>
>      1.1  Which of these should I use?  I want the most lightweight.
>      debian-live-10.2.0-amd64-cinnamon.iso.torrent
>      debian-live-10.2.0-amd64-gnome.iso.torrent
>      debian-live-10.2.0-amd64-kde.iso.torrent
>      debian-live-10.2.0-amd64-lxde.iso.torrent
>      debian-live-10.2.0-amd64-lxqt.iso.torrent
>      debian-live-10.2.0-amd64-mate.iso.torrent
>      debian-live-10.2.0-amd64-standard.iso.torrent
>      debian-live-10.2.0-amd64-xfce.iso.torrent

among these I think lxde and lxqt are the most lightweight choices.

>      1.2  I see above different names of desktop environment, but what
> is 'standard'?
>      (second to the last on the list)

Not sure about that, I always thought Gnome was debian's "standard".

> 2.  After installing one of the above onto a desktop or laptop
> computer, it should already have a window manager, correct?

Yes (maybe with the exception of "standard", which I am not sure what
this is).

>       2.1  Is IceWM lighter than the window manager that comes with any
> of the above?

It certainly is.

>        2.2  If answer to 2.1 is yes, can I install it?

Yes, I have been using IceWM here for ages.

>        2.3  Can I use IceWM alone? That is, cinnamon, gnome, kde, lxde,
> lxqt, mate, or xfce,
>        uninstalled, or disabled, and only IceWM running.  I'm assuming
> here that IceWM can
>        can be used independently, and does not need to run on top of a
> desktop environment.

Sure, after installing one of the above systems you can install IceWM,
make it your default desktop sesssion and remove the others. At some
point there may be situations though when trying to completely remove
some pre-installed packages will cause other things to be removed which
you actually want to keep. But certainly no one forces you to actually
use the default desktop of your installation medium.

Regards

Michael

You're dead, Jim.
		-- McCoy, "Amok Time", stardate 3372.7