Re: help with installation?

On Thu, 19 Dec 2019 20:13:42 +0800
kaye n <guikaye@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello, is this where I can ask for help?
>
> I am not new to GNU/Linux, but I am new to Debian.  I actually don't
> know much despite being a Linux user for years, so here's a few
> questions before I start installing.
>
> 1.  I want to install via Live USB.  I want a 64-bit debian.
>
>      I am currently in the page:
>      https://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/current-live/amd64/bt-hybrid/
>
>      1.1  Which of these should I use?  I want the most lightweight.
>      debian-live-10.2.0-amd64-cinnamon.iso.torrent
>      debian-live-10.2.0-amd64-gnome.iso.torrent
>      debian-live-10.2.0-amd64-kde.iso.torrent
>      debian-live-10.2.0-amd64-lxde.iso.torrent
>      debian-live-10.2.0-amd64-lxqt.iso.torrent
>      debian-live-10.2.0-amd64-mate.iso.torrent
>      debian-live-10.2.0-amd64-standard.iso.torrent
>      debian-live-10.2.0-amd64-xfce.iso.torrent
>
>      1.2  I see above different names of desktop environment, but
> what is 'standard'?
>      (second to the last on the list)
>
> 2.  After installing one of the above onto a desktop or laptop
> computer, it should already have a window manager, correct?
>
>       2.1  Is IceWM lighter than the window manager that comes with
> any of the above?
>
>        2.2  If answer to 2.1 is yes, can I install it?
>
>        2.3  Can I use IceWM alone? That is, cinnamon, gnome, kde,
> lxde, lxqt, mate, or xfce,
>        uninstalled, or disabled, and only IceWM running.  I'm
> assuming here that IceWM can
>        can be used independently, and does not need to run on top of a
> desktop environment.
>        Sorry if I can't make it clearer than that.
>
> Thank you very much for your time.
> Kaye

For the very lightest of light weight, do not use a live CD, use the
netinstall, or if you have low-bandwidth Internet, the normal
installation CD/DVD image. Select the graphical expert installation
from the menu, and say no to the desktop options. You should end up
with a command prompt, from which you can install whatever minimal
graphical software you want.

You can use one of the installation options you mention: Gnome is the
Debian 'standard', but it also the heaviest. Lxde, lxqt and xfce are
the lightest desktops of the group. You may attempt to uninstall the
desktop after the system works, but that is a lot of work and only
worth doing if you have a really small HD.

I don't know how the window managers rate, but of course any of them is
lighter than a DE.

--
Joe