Re: Broken PMTUD / ICMP blackhole?

On Tue, 17 Dec 2019 13:38:59 -0600
John Hasler <jhasler@newsguy.com> wrote:

> Celejar writes:
> > ...on my normal network connection, with
> > the MTU left at the normal 1500, I have no problems.
>
> What *kind* of connection?

Verizon Fios residential. But I have used my system with dozens of
different internet connections, and I do not usually experience these
sorts of problems.

> > It's only while on this particular connection via cell phone tether
> > that I see problems.
>
> The problem I experienced had to do with pppoe overhead and fixed packet

Yes, many of the discussions I have seen of needing to lower MTU refer
to PPPoE.

> size but I see no reason a similar problem couldn't crop up elsewhere.
> How does the tethering work?

I'm not that familiar with the internals, but basically, the phone
presents a wifi access point, the computer connects to it as it would to
any AP, and the phone apparently routes packets to and from the cellular
network.

Celejar