instable X after upgrade to buster - X? firefox? liberoffice? screensaver? lxde?

Hello, together,

after trapped into upgrade from stretch to buster, I get

(1) x server crashes after closing multiple libreOffice windows
(2) inacceptable response times after resuming from screen saver

Details for (1)

After crash, libreOffice restores open documents and opens them all
as stacked windows.
I repeatedly click on the "minimize" button to clean up my desktop, and
when I klick on the empty desktop after the last office window is gone,
X server session terminates immediately and drops to login screen.
I reproduced this three times.

I could NOT reproduce it by clicking on the empty desktop without
libreoffice restore cycle before

Details for (2)

After resuming from screen saver, response times to mouse and keyboard
event increases to several seconds.
It's even hard to work on a "Konsole"
Killing firefox (using system console) and maybe some other medium to
large applications alleviates the symptom.
Restarting firefox in the same session immediately slows down again.
I experienced similiar behaviour with lotus notes & wine.
After reboot, performance is normal again.
Feels like bad old WIN$ :-(((

I have a similiar behaviour with firefox 68 on my old laptop running
Windows7. So it might be related to firefox?

Top shows Xorg using ~ 103 % CPU (on a AMD 4300 quad core)
Mem is 16 GB and still ample free.

I don't know whether this problems are related.
I also can't pin it down to some specific package.
So I'll ask the list before filing a bug.

May workstation was set up with KDE in jessie.
Upgraded to stretch in early 2019

Forgot to set apt sources to release, so I ran into buster last week
without having planned so.
Anyway, seamless upgrade between releases ist a debian promise, right?

currently using lxdm and lxde
I struggled with the known bug of X not starting after upgrade.
During fixing, I tried different display manager and desktops (Gnome,
KDE)

dual screen
 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation G92 [GeForce 9800 GT]
 (rev a2)

lsmod: I think current driver is nouveau.
dpkg: xserver-xorg-video-nouveau                    1:1.0.16-1

Anybody else with similiar experience?

Wolfgang