Re: unstable: directory pulse in root directory : /pulse where from?

Greg Wooledge wrote on 16/12/2019 17:29:
> On Sat, Dec 14, 2019 at 10:04:34AM +0100, Jörg-Volker Peetz wrote:
>> $ dpkg -S /pulse
>> dpkg-query: no path found matching pattern /pulse
>>
>> fails to give any clue.
>> The directory is generated at boot-time. But I wasn't able to find any hint in
>> systemd or udev conf-files.
>
> Well, the first thing I would try would be "grep -r /pulse /etc".
> And if that fails, "grep -r /pulse /lib/systemd".

Did that, also

$ grep -rI pulse /lib/udev

to no avail.

> If *those* both fail... well, I might be crazy enough to try removing
> the offending directory, doing "chattr +i /", then rebooting, and seeing
> who complains when they can't create the /pulse directory.  Only on a
> system where I have local hardware access, of course -- not a remote.
>
> Do not forget to remove the immutable bit after your test is complete.
>
> And as a wise reader already said, it's probably pulseaudio.  Meaning,
> you might be able to test without rebooting, by stopping pulseaudio,
> removing the directory, and starting pulseaudio, to see if it gets
> recreated.

The /pulse directory is created at boot-time. The pulseaudio process is started
at login on this system. Also, pulseaudio continues to work after removal of
/pulse which is always an empty directory. It has uid 0 and gid 0 an is not
readable for group or others.

Does anybody else see such a /pulse directory?

Regards,
Jörg.