Re: apparent change in hostnames on LAN without admin intervention

On 12/16/19 12:42 AM, David Wright wrote:
On Sat 14 Dec 2019 at 13:49:25 (-0500), Jape Person wrote:
On 12/14/19 1:24 AM, john doe wrote:
The file '/etc/resolv.conf' should let you know what TLD is sent from
the DHCP server.

Debian shouldn't modify your configuration files '/etc' without your nolage.

Depending on the packages chosen, /etc/resolv.conf is one file in /etc
that is modified by Debian. The resolvconf package lists 23 other
programs that it is designed to adjudicate between, for want of a
better term.

That has been my understanding, and it's why I never edit /etc/resolv.conf myself.

Note that the TLD '.lan' is sometime used.

That's another choice, like .local, that could always be issued as a
real TLD at some point in the future.

1)  https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/list-of-approved-cable-modems

I'm using my own router behind the modem provided by the ISP. I've
never used a router provided by an ISP for controlling my network.

I'm using a Luxul XWR-1750 which has been kept on the latest firmware
available. Last upgrade was done early this year, long before the
noted change in names.

The router is set to provide static IP addresses and has the names of
each of the systems associated with their MAC Addresses and IP
Addresses.

Can you just clarify this? My router provides static IP addresses on
the basis of the MAC addresses, all the information being typed in¹
by me. It also lists the names of the other hosts, but only because
those hosts told it their names. IOW the router (cheap, $35) doesn't
issue hostnames, nor provide a DNS service itself. It also neither
knows nor cares what the domain name of the network is.

How much of this is the same on the router in your network?

¹ actually, of course, it deduces all but the last number in the
dotted quad.

Cheers,
David.

Yes, it's my understanding that my router does provide DNS on the local network and will provide the 208.67.222.222, 208.67.220.220 OpenDNS servers or whatever the ISP provides for DNS servers, depending upon entries made in its setup pages. I do not think that it actually issues the hostnames, but it does detect whatever hostnames the devices provide and shows them associated with the IP addresses its DHCP server issues in a table. Do you think that I'm misunderstanding the arrangement? Could well be. I have ASSumed that it worked this way from the appearance of the tables in the setup software.

The software running the router is licensed under Luxul Open Source Code for Programmers (GPL).

Thanks, David.

JP