Re: looking for a replacement for debian since systemd

Quoting Jimmy Johnson (2019-12-16 02:13:08)
> On 12/14/19 5:29 AM, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:
> > Hi Alessandro,
> >
> > Quoting Alessandro Vesely (2019-12-14 13:23:14)

> >> Good to know.  For the time being, I see SysV is working.  I'm on
> >> old-stable Debian.  As, in a few months, it will be time to
> >> migrate, I'll have to decide on Devuan (current) vs. Buster.  Any
> >> recommendation on that?  Will the voted resolution shred any light
> >> on migration strategies?
> >
> > Since this is a Debian list, I recommend to discuss Debian here, and
> > consult Devuan mailinglist for details of what they can offer.
> >
> > The vote currently in Debian will affect _future_ releases of
> > Debian, not the current stable release, Buster.
> >
> > For Debian Buster (regardless of the outcome of the vote) SysV is a
> > supported init system: Please do report any flaws you may encounter!
>
> Kde5 on buster without systemd don't work,

True, and also what I wrote (and even mentioned KDE explicitly): Depends
on which kind of system you need and how much of systemd must be gone.

In case you missed, here it is again:

> Beware in discussions here and elsewhere to distinguish between these:
>
>  a) running a system with SysV as init system
>  b) running a system without systemd installed
>  c) running a system without libsystemd0 installed
>
> If you need a), then quite likely Debian Buster is fine for you.
>
> If you need b) and don't need a complex¹ X11/Wayland desktop
> environment, then Debian Buster is likely fine as well.
>
> If you need c) and/or a complex¹ X11/Wayland desktop environment, then
> Debian Buster is most likely no fun for you - might be possible, but
> you will feel alone and bugreports will be harder to debug due to your
> complex setup (in particular your suppressing package
> recommendations).
>
> ¹ In this context, "complex" desktop environments include GNOME, KDE,
> Cinnamon, MATE and more - as a rule of thumb anything which directly
> or indirectly recommends dbus-user-session.

Kind regards

 - Jonas