Re: apparent change in hostnames on LAN without admin intervention

On 12/15/19 1:19 AM, tv.debian@googlemail.com wrote:

Hi, I am running a very similar setup, also on Sid/Testing (updated
daily), and didn't notice any change. My local domain is not ".local" or
".home", it is custom.

My resolv.conf looks like yours (modulo the domain name), I have an
additional nameserver line for my router address. My router only
resolves names for the local network, public DNS is resolved though a VPN.

My hosts file is just standard :

<IP>	<hostname.domain>	<hostname>

one line per host on the network, the router has the same hosts file,
the IP are reserved by the router DHCP and associated with (static
spoofed) MAC addresses. Routers are running on Asuswrt-Merlin and
openWRT (one is AP mode only).

ssh here works with both hostnames short alias (no domain), full name or IP.

<nslookup>	<hostname.domain>	<router IP>

works as expected and return the host IP.

Since we probably have the same packages versions let me know if you
need me to check anything that could differ from your system.

Thank you very much for your kind offer! I am interested in figuring this out, but it will probably be at least after the first of the year before I'll be able to devote much time to it.

I'm happy to have things apparently working as they should, for now. But this experience has made me curious.

The information you provided, and your offer of help are much appreciated!

Best,
JP