Re: apparent change in hostnames on LAN without admin intervention

On Sb, 14 dec 19, 14:05:01, Jape Person wrote:

> The hostnames and local domain name were used during installation.

Ok, so they are probably configured in /etc/hostname, possibly also
/etc/hosts.

> The static DHCP addresses are issued by a Luxul XWR-1750 router which
> associates the hostnames with the MAC and IP addresses.

So the same host names are configured also in the router.

> Contents of /etc/resolv.conf:
>
> search local
> nameserver 208.67.220.220
>
> I discovered the change a few days ago when I was doing my daily check for
> updates by using SSH to connect to two of the systems. I received the
> following response to the connection command:
>
> ssh: Could not resolve hostname chip-nuc.local: Name or service not known

Depending also on how you manage the network configuration (ifupdown,
network-manager, systemd-networkd, etc.) it could be a lot of things.

My first guess is that something in your resolving infrastructure is now
treating .local special whereas before it didn't. The other option would
be that some mDNS package got installed.

You could look at the update logs since the last known previous state
and see if something sticks out.

That is, if you want to find out what happened as it seems to me that
you fixed the immediate problem.

Kind regards,
Andrei