Re: apparent change in hostnames on LAN without admin intervention

On 12/14/19 8:45 AM, Brian wrote:
On Fri 13 Dec 2019 at 22:04:18 -0500, Jape Person wrote:

On 12/13/19 8:55 PM, David Wright wrote:

But is it possible you've started using avahi/bonjour when previously
you didn't? Or has the router upgraded itself and now knows not to
issue names like that?

I'll check to see if avahi/bonjour are being used, but I haven't done
anything deliberately to start using them. I'm wondering if recent changes
to CUPS may be implicated in some way.

Depends what you mean by recent. :) avahi-daemon has been a Recommends:
of cups-daemon since jessie.

                                        My Brother printer defaults to using
bonjour, but I turned it off because I deemed it to be not particularly
useful to me. It's connected by wire to the router. I live in a condo where
I can see at least three dozen (no kidding) printers advertising their
services. I'm getting ready to switch everything to wired connections.

Bonjour is a network protocol, not a wireless protocol.

Thanks,
JP